DLD Lawyers is a leading professional liability defense firm with over two decades of experience representing a wide array of professionals in malpractice, director and officer (D&O) and errors and omissions (E&O) claims.
Due to the complexities often involved in professional liability cases, DLD Lawyers initiates an early investigation and evaluation of claims, as well as the retention of the necessary experts to defend those claims.
The firm represents accountants individually, accounting firms, agents & insurance brokers, attorney malpractice, architects & engineers, and real estate professionals Accountants: We represent accounting firms and provide an aggressive liability defense.
- Insurance Agents and Brokers. We have a recognized expertise in this area and experienced attorneys with broad exposure to the potential areas of liability.
- Accountants. Accounting firms, bookkeepers, auditors, tax preparers, and individual accountants are defended against professional liability claims alleging inadequate instructions or negligence in preparing tax returns, financial statements, or in responding to an IRS audit.
- Attorneys. Lawyers are defended in claims ranging from underlying litigation matters of all types to complex securities transactions, trusts and estates, real estate, and commercial transactions.
- Architects & Engineers (A&E). Claims brought against architects and engineers are considered among the most complex and time-consuming matters. The firm represents architects and engineers in all phases of litigation and arbitration matters. Attorney Donell Hicks is Board Certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar, which makes him an expert in matters relating to the design and construction of improvements on private and public projects.
- Real Estate Professionals. DLD Lawyers represents real estate agents, brokers, appraisers, title agents and other related professionals in all areas of errors and omissions (E&O) claims. The firm serves as national counsel for a major professional liability insurer in defending claims across the country for appraisal malpractice. The firm has defended many cases against brokers, real estate agents and title agents for deceptive trade practices and false advertising. Prior to joining DLD Lawyers, one of our lawyers served as General Counsel of an international real estate investment group where she handled a full range of legal matters related to real estate investment, marketing, purchase and sales, foreclosures and leasing.
DLD Lawyers negotiates confidential settlements on behalf of professional services clients whenever possible in order to protect their reputation and privacy.
Director & Officer (D&O) Liability
DLD Lawyers is skilled at advising officers and directors in making the important decisions that routinely arise in the governance of corporations, homeowners and condominium associations, and non-profit organizations.
The firm defends officers and directors when shareholders, employees or third parties bring claims in reaction to management decisions or after an alleged breach of a fiduciary duty by an officer or director.
Relevant matters that often arise in lawsuits against directors and officers can include:
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Contract disputes
- Employment law disputes (discrimination, harassment, etc.)
- Financial mismanagement or fraud
- Government and regulatory compliance disputes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Misrepresentation of assets or capabilities
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Theft of trade secrets
Litigation avoidance is an important element in D&O protection. Members of the firm are available in advance of a claim to help clients examine current insurance coverage, evaluate employment practices, review standard contract language, and identify any potential property risks.